- avoid cutting off character’s heads
- use a variety of LS/MS/CU
- don’t tilt the camera unless you mean to
- don’t overuse one type of shot e.g. panning
- don’t forget match on action/shot reverse shot
- shoot lots of footage, repeating scenes from different angles to facilitate more interesting cutting
- you can cut footage down but you can’t magically create some
- You don’t need to use the same piece all the way through your film: consider the dynamics of the piece &how you can manipulate audience response.
- consider whether you are incorporating authentic genre components into your film
- Your actors are amateurs, so edit around their performance to create the tension you need.